Press Conference After Anwar Receives Threat from ACA

By PRU
Press Conference After Anwar Receives Threat from ACA



Anti Corruption Agency visit: Part II

Today three representatives of the Anti Corruption Agency visited my office for the second time in three weeks in relation to its investigation of the videotape that I released to the public on 19 September.

I appreciate the continued cooperation of the ACA but must reiterate my solemn concern that the government is using the ACA to delay a proper investigation and to divert the public’s attention from the critical issues of judicial misconduct that are raised by the video.

The ACA recorded a further statement from me today. I informed them that the original of the 14 minute video clip is with the source who initially brought it to me. I gave them my undertaking however that I would supply them a genuine and proper copy which they could use to authenticate the video clip on Thursday 25 October 2007. However after completing the statement and despite my undertaking, the ACA officers received an instruction to issue an order to me compelling me to submit the original complete videotape recording, including the six-minute segment of the video that has yet to be viewed by the public, on or before Thursday. This was done despite my informing them that the original was still with the source. Failure to meet their demands may be met with prosecution.

It is an anathema that the ACA would be so concerned about the tape’s authenticity when those featured in it, VK Lingam, Ahmed Fairuz, Vincent Tan and Tengku Adnan, have not been investigated or issued any public denial of the conversation that is featured in the videotape.

I therefore call upon the ACA to adhere to its mission in rooting out corruption and investigating the misconduct of public officials and move beyond what can only be described today as a witch-hunt for the whistleblowers.

I also remain deeply concerned over the welfare of the individual or individuals who have asked me to bring this videotape to the public’s attention. The guarantee of their personal safety and immunity from legal action are yet unanswered questions that must be addressed in order for the remainder of the tape to be released.

The establishment of an independent Royal Commission to investigate the serious allegations of corruption that the videotape raises remains an option favoured by the Malaysian Bar Council, political parties from the opposition and from within the government, and other civil society organisations. I would simply reiterate my call for these measures to be taken so that the investigation can proceed in a timely manner.

The ACA delegation was headed by Tuan Sazali bin Salbi, Head of Special Tasks Branch cum Deputy Commissioner, ACA Putrajaya.

ANWAR IBRAHIM

October 22nd 2007

Source: Anwaribrahim.com
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?